Word spread a while ago about a pizza evening at Jason Bakery after a rather raucous but successful birthday party held there for one young David Cope. Pizzas were the order of the day and received such rave reviews from Dave’s guests that Jason decided to stay open a bit later one evening and make a few pizzas, serve a few beers and talk a bit of nonsense with his local clientele.
Jason devised a short but punchy menu:
- Tomato, basil leaves & buffalo mozzarella
- Sage & garlic beurre noisette with black forest ham and rosa tomatoes
- Raw Roma tomato & oregano base topped with Gruyère and kassler loin
- Raw Roma tomato and oregano base topped with smoked salmon, crème fraîche and rocket
- Onion marmalade and gorgonzola with wild rocket
…all atop a thin and crispy pizza base perfected by the Jason Bakery crew.
I do hate to spoil food with additional condiments, but Jason makes a cooked red chilli sauce that is a marvel to the tastebuds. Not too hot but with a satisfactory burn, subtle ginger notes complimented the intense flavour and was smeared over the pizza before it was gobbled up in record time.
Thankfully, this wasn’t a one-time affair; Jason will be kicking off pizza nights each Thursday evening with some smooth, funky beats provided by Darren Rose of The Beat Collective. It was wonderful sharing a pizza with a friend over a beer in the city as the day came to a quiet end.
185 Bree Street
021 424 5644